Sunday, December 5, 2010

Too much assistance, BUT you must be broke!

One of my concerns through life has always been what happens when you have no insurance? I know certain hospitals have to take care of you when it’s critical but what about preventive care.

Well I received all my answers when I applied for SSDI and found myself without medical benefits. Amazing is the services available from the state and charities to keep you in good health. There is only one catch; you must be at the poverty level. This amazes me since you would think there would be assistance so that you would not have to depend on the government for the basics, food, clothing and a place to live.

The bottom line is that there is very good care available for free, but you have to be broke and dependent on another or totally on the government. This makes no sense but it's that way it's structured. Actually everyone fights to take care of you, i.e. private and government agencies. I am very grateful I have such services!

But as an example because my sister has a house and a little bit of money in the bank (middle income) she qualifies for none of what I get. I see private doctors, mental services, eye care and dental all free. My sister who is returning back here in Jan cannot get anything for free unless she is at the poverty level.

Someday I hope this gets ironed out. Assistance should be provided to avoid people from becoming poor and then a burden on government. Just like prevented healthcare there should be prevented poverty!

Chat soon
Dr Q

No comments:

Post a Comment