Monday, October 11, 2010

Life's challenges in dealing with SSDI

Living in this great country and unless we allow it to deteriorate it will always remain a great country is that if you have a disability you can get SSI or SSDI. I have applied and I am sure will be approved (nothing in life is guaranteed, except death) for SSDI. Well I think most of you know that is the Federal Government paying you in return for you paying them for retirement or should you get terminally disabled.

I can't tell you the challenges you face applying for SSDI and now understand why most get a lawyer. I was fortunate to have a local charity assist me with the process and see the various doctors etc. There are many forms to complete assessments to take and mental experts to see along with physical ones.

This process started in June when I finally gave in and decided I was dying faster if I did not address some serious health issues. It was either close your eyes and continue to work and disregard the obvious I have been neglecting for 4 years or start addressing them. I have been able to hide this from my family and friends until just recently. Some of them put two and two together, connected the dots.. you get the picture.

I still don't except it, I feel fine except for a few challenges that I have learned to work around. I had a mental breakdown when I was first told that lasted 8 months of crying. Again no-one except Robert was aware of this. I was hospitalized many times, without work even knowing. I had this magical thing called wi-fi and a laptop and I had a great staff.

We decided 3 years ago to make the rounds see family in Miami then Tampa and eventually end up back home, but I think here we will stay for now.

Last week was a week from hell, almost institutionalized due to depression and even though I was sadden Rob lost his job, it's what saved me from being in a nut house  for lack of a better term.  Everyday is a challenge for me. I hope this Blog helps me and others and I periodically express what is going in my life so my family friends and people dealing with terminal illness know they are not alone.

This week its lawyers related to both accidents I have had that added to my many elements and supporting Rob as he stays positive and job hunts in this market. I thank my earthy angels (you know who you are) for being there for us. You’re one reason I am still here!

No comments:

Post a Comment